Quickstart Guide - How to get cheaper energy bills on bonkers.ie
Here at bonkers.ie we want to help you find the cheapest energy deal on the market and save money. To help you along the switching journey, we’ve created a series of helpful guides, which will allow you to switch with ease.
Welcome to the first guide in our series on the energy switching process. This guide will briefly outline the comparison and switching process.
In this guide, you’ll discover numerous links that will lead you to more in-depth guides that will assist you on your energy switching journey.
At the end of this article, you’ll find a list of the remaining guides on how to get cheaper energy bills.
Step 1 - Compare energy prices
To begin, your comparison, you’ll need to do two things:
- Have a recent energy bill on hand
- Head to our energy comparison page.
Once you are on the comparison page, it's time to start your journey towards cheaper energy bills. Here is what you can expect:
- Choose the type of fuel you’re looking to compare prices for - electricity, gas, or a dual fuel deal.
- Fill out our form with some information. We’ll need to know:
- Your current energy provider
- The type of meter you have
- The estimated amount of energy you use in kilowatt-hours (kWh) or euros
- Click on the ‘compare prices’ button to be brought to your results page.
- Review the list of deal options based on the information you provided and discover the potential savings you could make.
- Filter your results and choose the best deal for you.
Take a look at our guide on how to compare gas and electricity prices for an in-depth outline of the comparison process.
Step 2 - Make the switch
Once you’ve decided on the right deal for you, you’ll be able to sign up for your new energy tariff. To do this you must:
- Fill in some personal information and contact details.
- Provide us with information about your gas and/or electricity meter.
- Submit your MPRN if you’re switching electricity or your GPRN if you’re switching gas
- Provide us with your meter readings. It’s possible to provide these later if you don’t have them on hand.
- On the confirmation page, fill in your address and bank account details
- Answer some final questions and agree to the declarations.
- Place your order and we’ll look after the rest.
Our step-by-step guide on how to switch gas and electricity suppliers will provide you with further information should you get stuck at any point.
Step 3 - If you change your mind
If you change your mind within two weeks of your switch being complete, don’t panic. You can cancel free of charge within this time period.
Have a read of our guide on energy cooling-off periods to learn more.
Keep in mind that if you decide to cancel after this timeframe or decide to switch while still in contract with your existing supplier, you could be subject to an early exit fee. This is usually €50 per fuel.
If you want to know more, you can learn about energy cancellation fees in this article.
Other guides in our series
As well as our guides on how to compare energy prices, how to switch suppliers, and the cooling-off period, we have a range of other helpful guides in our series on how to get cheaper energy bills:
- Unsure of how to read your energy bills? Here’s how you can easily read and understand your gas and electricity bills.
- Get to grips with important energy switching terms in this helpful guide.
- Review our list of commonly asked switching-related questions.
- Aside from price, there are other factors to think about when switching. Here are 7 things to consider when switching energy suppliers.
Need any help?
If you get stuck and can’t find the answer to what you’re looking for in our guides, get in touch with us. We are always happy to help!
You can contact our customer service team on (01) 256 0500, from 10 AM-4.30 PM, Monday to Friday.