Frequently asked travel insurance questions
Theo Wooster

Before taking out any insurance product, it's important to ask questions. In this guide, we break down the most frequently asked questions regarding travel insurance.

This is the fourth and final guide in our series on getting travel insurance on The other guides in the series will be linked at the end of the page.

While travel insurance may not be as complex a product as income protection or life insurance, it is still wise to ask as many questions as you see fit.

So if you would like to know what an excess is, what exclusions may apply, or even simply what travel insurance is, read on. 

What is travel insurance?

If you are heading abroad, on holiday, backpacking or business, travel insurance covers unforeseen events that can occur outside of your control while away from home.

For example, if you become sick or injured, have belongings stolen, or lose your passport, travel insurance can help cover your losses.

Higher levels of cover may help protect against travel delays, natural disasters and missed flights. 

For a relatively low cost, travel insurance can provide a great peace of mind when travelling abroad.

Do I need travel insurance?

Some countries require travel insurance for entry and visa requirements, so it is important to check this before travelling.

However, even if travel insurance is not compulsory, it does provide cover against any unforeseen events that so often occur when travelling, ensuring you can go on your trip with full peace of mind. 

For example, if you have to curtail your trip for reasons beyond your control, get hurt in an accident or have valuables stolen or damaged, travel insurance will ensure you are not left short.

For something that is so easy to get, at usually affordable premiums, getting travel insurance before travelling abroad is a no-brainer. 

However it's important to check if you already have cover. Some credit cards include travel insurance for free as one of their perks as do some of Revolut's premium accounts for example.

Should I get a single trip or multi-trip cover?

This depends entirely on your travel plans. 

If you are a frequent traveller, who goes away more than two or three times a year, you may find better value in annual multi-trip cover. This will ensure that, whatever your plans are, you will be covered for the entire year. 

If you are also planning on travelling for an extended period, such as inter-railing or backpacking, annual multi-trip cover may also be for you.

However, if you are an infrequent traveller, and only plan on travelling occasionally, single trip cover may be the best option for you.

What level of cover should I go for?

This depends on your budget and your situation. 

Many insurers provide tiered levels of cover. Basic plans usually cover you for emergency medical expenses only and basic flight cancellation cover.

More premium plans offer higher levels of medical and flight cancellation cover as well as cover for the loss of personal items. They may also cover you for longer trips. 

As always, read the terms and conditions and key information carefully so you know what you're covered for.

On we have three levels of cover: Silver, Gold and Platinum.  

The maximum length of a single trip on a Silver multi-trip policy is 31 days is. Gold offers 45 days, and Platinum offers 60 days. 

What is an excess?

An excess is the amount you need to pay first in the event of a claim. For example, if the excess on your policy is €200 and the claim is for €500, you would only be able to claim back €300. 

Your excess will depend on the level of cover you choose. Cheaper policies tend to have much bigger excesses.

You can check the excess for your chosen level of cover in your policy booklet. 

Do children have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to qualify for cover?

Yes, they will. 

For children under the age of 18, a responsible adult will need to be travelling with them in order to qualify for cover. 

Can I buy cover if I live outside of the Republic of Ireland?

Unfortunately, only residents of the Republic of Ireland can purchase travel insurance on 

To qualify as a resident, you need to have been living in the Republic for at least six months of the past 12 months. 

How many times can I go away on a multi-trip policy?

A multi-trip policy will cover you for as many trips as you like during the year however there will be a limit to how many days in total you can be away. And there will be a limit on the length of each individual trip. 

On the total limit is 183 days per year. And the length of an individual trip depends on the level of cover you decide to purchase. You can read more about the different types of cover in this guide.

I’ve already left the country, can I still get cover?

Unfortunately, if you have already left the Republic of Ireland, you will be unable to purchase travel insurance for your trip.

Ideally, as soon as you book your holiday, you should book your travel insurance. Don't leave it until the last minute.

Can I travel to multiple countries?

Yes, you can. 

However, when taking out your policy, you will need to make sure you are covered for all the regions you are visiting. 

For example, if you are travelling to Spain, then Morocco, and then the USA, you will need to purchase Worldwide cover (including the USA and Canada). If you just get cover for Europe, or Worldwide excluding the USA and Canada, you will not be fully covered. 

When should I start my travel insurance?

If you are purchasing cover for a single trip, you should start your cover on the day you intend to start travelling.

If you are getting multi-trip cover, your policy will become active on the day you purchase your cover. 

Therefore, this also means that you can take out a travel policy on the day of travel, if you wish, as long as it is before you leave the country. 

Are there any exclusions with travel insurance?

Yes, there can be.

Depending on your plans and situation, exclusions may apply. To check all the exclusions, it is important to read your policy document. 

An example of some exclusions may be injuries sustained partaking in risky activities, or missed transport due to personal error, rather than an unforeseen circumstance.

So-called 'force majeure' events such as hurricanes, earthquakes, union strikes, or the outbreak of war can also void any claims.  

You can find out more about potential exclusions in this guide.

Can I get cover if I have a pre-existing condition?

Yes you can.

During the purchase process, you will complete a quick medical screening where you will have to declare any pre-existing conditions.

If cover is refused based on the declaration of a pre-existing condition, you will still be able to take out a policy. Claims related to your condition will be refused, but the rest of your travel cover will not be affected.

Can I extend my cover while I am away?

You can extend your travel insurance cover on a single trip policy while you’re away, as long as there are no pending claims against the policy. You can only extend your policy once, and you will need to pay an additional premium for the extension of cover.

You can extend your policy by contacting us on (01) 256 0500 (option 5).

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes, you can.

Once you have purchased your travel insurance, you are entitled to a 14-day cooling-off period. If you contact us within this period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims.

Get travel insurance with

Purchase travel insurance on in just a few clicks. Get a direct quote for single trip, annual multi-trip or winter sports insurance in minutes. 

Simply head over to our travel insurance page and start selecting the cover you need, today!

While you’re here, don’t forget to review your other household bills and compare deals for services such as energy, broadband, banking and insurance products.

Take a look at our other travel insurance guides

Get in touch

If you have any questions about anything in this guide, or about travel insurance in general, contact our team today on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok or Instagram.