Home insurance premiums up by 22% - Cork's 96FM
According to the Central Statistics Office, home insurance premiums have risen by 22% over the past year. These premiums have skyrocketed above the average level of inflation in Ireland.
Daragh Cassidy, Head of Communications at bonkers.ie, appeared on Cork's 96FM to discuss what these price hikes mean to consumers and how switching providers can help you cut your home insurance premium.
Main points from the interview
- People who have or are looking to purchase home insurance should either shop around or negotiate with their insurance provider to get the best value policy on the market.
- The end of price walking and construction inflation has caused home insurance costs to rise.
- You should use the figure you are quoted on your home insurance renewal letter as the maximum amount of money you should pay for your new policy.
- Take advantage of the new customer discounts offered by insurers. This could see you saving 10 - 20% on your car insurance premium.
- If you get your home insurance with the bank you have your mortgage with you may be overpaying on your premium.
- The free home insurance service on bonkers.ie allows you to find the best value policy on the market.
Helpful home insurance guides
Take a look at our home insurance guide series on bonkers.ie to find out how you can cut the cost of your premium today.
- In our Quickstart Guide, you’ll find a complete outline and a brief overview of all the guides in our series
- In this guide, we’ve compiled a list of the most common questions asked about home insurance.
- Before taking out your policy, have a look at these 9 things to consider when taking out home insurance.