Irish electricity costs 70% more than EU average - KCLR 96FM
Irish electricity prices are some of the highest in Europe, as reported by Eurostat.
Daragh Cassidy, Head of Communications at bonkers.ie, appeared on KCLR to discuss the state of electricity pricing in Ireland.
Listen to the interview above or look at the main points discussed below.
Main points from the interview
- Before the energy crisis began, Ireland was one of the top five most expensive countries in the EU for electricity.
- Currently, electricity prices in Ireland are over 70% above the EU average.
- Energy is not taxed as heavily in Ireland compared to other EU countries. This means that the cost of energy in Ireland may be actually higher than it appears compared to European countries.
- Daragh has said there is a need for an investigation into why Ireland’s electricity prices are relatively much higher than the rest of the bloc.
- There is a guide on the website discussing why energy prices are so high in Ireland, which you can read here.
Switch to a cheaper energy deal today
To avoid paying more for energy than you have to, head over to our free electricity and gas comparison service. You will be able to compare the best deals from Ireland's main providers in just a few clicks.
If you’re seeking advice when it comes to switching supplier, make sure you check out our energy Quickstart Guide here. Our guide will equip you with all the information you need to make the switch.
Don’t forget you can also get the best value broadband deals, insurance policies, banking products and mortgage rates here on bonkers.ie.
Get in touch
Do you have any questions about comparing energy products? If so, get in touch with us. You can reach us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.