Is Ireland becoming a cashless society? - Newstalk
Daragh Cassidy discusses whether Ireland is moving towards a completely cashless society on Newstalk. During the interview, he lists the various pros and cons associated with using cash and card bank payments.
The key points from the interview:
- Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council’s decision that the Sandy Cove Avenue West public toilets will change from coin to contactless payments by the end of November has sparked a debate on whether Ireland is heading toward a cashless society.
- Some councillors are worried that this decision will isolate certain groups who prefer to use cash over card payments, such as the older generation.
- However, Daragh believes Ireland is moving towards a less cash-reliant society, rather than a cashless one.
- Ireland is writing 20 million cheques a year, this equates to 4 cheques being written for every man, woman and child in Ireland.
- The benefits of using increased card payments include:
- Better hygiene
- Increased safety for businesses as they are less likely to be burgled as they don’t have as much money on the premises
- Increased safety for consumers as they don’t have to carry large quantities of cash on them
- Making it harder to commit tax evasion
- Making it more difficult to launder money
- The ability to track your money easier with the use of apps
- However, overspending is easier to do when using card payments rather than cash-based ones.
- Find out more about whether Ireland is moving towards a cashless society here.
Easily compare current accounts on bonkers.ie
If you’re someone who prefers using cash over a card, it’s vital that you make sure you’re with the bank that best suits your needs.
You can compare both traditional and digital current accounts with our easy-to-use comparison tool.
Before making a decision, you might find it beneficial to take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Check out our review of which bank offers the best value current account.
- Discover which banks have the best mobile app here.
- Learn all you need to know about how to switch current account.
Get in touch
Do you prefer using cash instead of card? Or do you think digital banking is the future? We’d love to hear from you!