From energy to mortgage advice bonkers.ie has got you covered
Daragh Cassidy appeared on Connemara Community Radio to discuss the different advice and services bonkers.ie provides its consumers related to smart meters, lowering your energy usage and securing the best value mortgage rates available from our site.
Main points from the interview
- 1 million smart meters have been rolled out across Ireland. Daragh recommends that people should allow them to be installed at their homes.
- The benefits of Smart meters include the ability for them to be read remotely so you don’t have to submit regular meter readings and the data they provide on your energy usage
- At the moment, the smart meter tariffs on the market are not great value so Daragh recommends holding off signing up for a smart tariff until suppliers release better value plans.
- To reduce your energy usage in the home, you should invest in LED lightbulbs, turn off the lights when you leave a room and plug out appliances when you aren’t using them.
- The ECB is expected to increase its interest rates up to 2%, which would be the third increase by the ECB this year, which will cause mortgage rates to rise again.
- Permanent TSB and Bank of Ireland haven’t passed on these rate increases to their customers however, this isn’t expected to continue.
- In October, AIB increased all its fixed rates by 0.5%, this rate change will only affect new customers and tracker customers, who will see their rates go up.
- If you’re on a variable rate, look at switching to a fixed rate so you can escape the rising rates.
- Here is a breakdown of how to switch mortgages on bonkers.ie.