Impact of SSE Airtricity price increase - KCLR
Our Head of Communications, Daragh Cassidy appeared on KCLR to chat about SSE Airtricity's latest price increase. He discussed why prices are continuing to go up, and what it means for energy customers.
You can listen to the interview in full by simply clicking the play button above. You can also find a summary of the key takeaways from the interview outlined below.
Main points covered
SSE Airtricity will increase:
- Its standard unit gas price by 46.3%, adding on average €500 extra to consumers’ annual gas bill.
- Its electricity prices by 45.2%, adding on average €600 extra to consumers’ annual electricity bill.
- This is the fifth price hike from the renewable energy supplier since 2021.
- In total, SSE Airtricity customers will be paying an extra €1000 per fuel since these price increases began.
- Reasons for these price increases include: The conflict in Ukraine, Ireland’s lack of investment in energy such as a shortage of storage facilities, being an island nation, and the growing demand for electricity.
- To combat this energy price crisis, Daragh thinks that the Government should:
- Reexamine and consider providing the public with another energy credit
- Either maintain the VAT on energy at 9% or lower it to 5%
- Potentially submit energy suppliers to a windfall tax
Switch and save
If SSE Airtricity’s latest price hike has left you worried about your future energy bills, fear not because at bonkers.ie we have the solution for you!