eir has announced that Meteor and eir Mobile billpay customers are to get eir Sport for free, directly to their mobile devices.
This article is quite old, you might prefer our latest Broadband, Phone & TV pieces
Are you a Meteor or eir Mobile customer? If so, eir has some exciting news for you, particularly if you’re a sports fanatic.
The provider is to make all seven eir Sport channels available directly to your mobile phone, for free!
What is eir Sport?
eir Sport is a sports package consisting of seven separate channels; eir Sport 1, eir Sport 2, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport Europe, BT Sport ESPN and Box Nation.
The sports pack was first launched in July 2016, seven months after eir acquired Setanta Sports for about €20m.
eir Sport pack has exclusive rights to the 2019 Rugby World Cup and was the only place to see Ireland beat New Zealand in November, Conor Mcgregor defeat Eddie Alvarez and Liverpool eke out a victory over Manchester City late last year.
Which mobile customers can get eir Sport for free?
If you are a Meteor or eir Mobile bill pay customer, on a contract of €35, €45 or €55 per month, you will get all seven eir Sport channels directly to you mobile phone for free.
Non-Meteor customers who switch to the provider will also be able to get access to the sports pack for free.
What does this mean for data limits?
Streaming live content is usually a very data-intensive activity, but eir has said that using the eir Sport app will not contribute to customers’ data allowances.
This will be a big relief to customers who have capped data limits, as well as those who have an unlimited plan but live in fear of exceeding their fair usage data caps.
How to get eir Sport
If you’re happy with your mobile provider but still want eir Sport for free, you can get it by signing up for any eir broadband deal, which you can do right now on bonkers.ie.
Here are the other ways to sign up:
- eir – both new and existing eir broadband customers can get eir Sport for free. If you’re an existing eir broadband customer and don’t have the eir Sport yet, just give eir a call and they will help you get set up. If you aren’t an eir broadband customer and would like to sign up now, you can do so by visiting the eir Broadband page on bonkers.ie.
- Sky – Sky Broadband customers can subscribe to eir Sport for an average monthly cost of €18.75. Note that you’ll need your Sky viewing card number to sign up.
- Virgin Media – eir Sport is not available to Virgin Media customers.
- Vodafone – eir Sport is available to Vodafone customers for €20 a month, but new Vodafone customers can get all seven channels for free for six months. You can sign up for Vodafone broadband on bonkers.ie now.
- eir Broadband and Sky TV - if you’re an eir Broadband customer but you get your TV package from Sky, you can still get eir Sport for free. You can sign up here - you’ll need your eir login details and Sky viewing card number to do so.
How to get the app
You'll find the new app in the Apple Store or on Google Play (search for the red eir Sport logo).
Alternatively, you can find the app through the following links:
Once downloaded, you can register up to two devices on myMeteor or myeir portals, although only one device can stream content at any given time.
This is another bold move by eir in its bid to establish itself as the provider of choice for Ireland’s sports fans.
Henry Dummer, eir Group Marketing Director said, “We really want to reward our loyal mobile customers and allow them to benefit from all of the great content available from eir. We have invested heavily in our mobile network, providing 95% 4G coverage and today is another example that demonstrates what is possible by delivering content over our converged fixed and mobile network.
He added, “eir Sport has been a fantastic addition to the eir portfolio and this is another example of how we’re setting sport free. Don’t miss out on the race to the Premier League title, all of the Europa League action, the Allianz League GAA, Formula One and the European Rugby Champions Cup… all on your mobile!”