Ruby on Rails Software Developer
We currently have an open role for a Ruby on Rails Engineer – in this role you will have the opportunity to work with the CEO and the product owners to design and shape how we bring our products from inception through to delivery to our customers. This is a role that can have a real impact on how we deliver to our customers and we want you to bring your experience to bonkers.ie and make a real impact.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Define, architect and develop software solutions primarily using RoR/AWS/MySQL
- Work with the Product team to define solutions and quick wins
- Write RoR code with best practises, with reusable modular code architecture in mind
- Conduct code reviews and collaborate with the team on top-class engineering standards
- Support the bonkers.ie platform across all aspects of Infrastructure, Code, DB’s and other services
- Work with servers and serverless components (Unix/SQS/Lambda etc)
- Work with the Tech Lead to develop overall application architecture
- Work with Front End Engineers, defining solutions and BE/FE interactions
- Mentor more junior engineers on everything you know and industry best practises
- Bring innovative ideas to the table, and identify invisible value in the bonkers.ie platform
- Be a team player and work towards the overall company vision
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in software development
- Experience working with: Ruby, Rails, MySQL
- Experience with Cloud and infrastructure (Preferably AWS)
- Extensive Application Architecture experience (Software/Infrastructure)
- Experience with Unix
- Git and source control
- Experience with unit testing/automated testing and test best practises
- Experience in Software Architecture and coding best practises
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient English language skills
- University degree in computer science or proven experience in the area
- Test Driven Development, CI, Github
Why work here
- The company is the name of online retail financial services, and has a culture of ownership, collaboration and success
- Hybrid working model
- As a small company the rapport of staff is paramount and they place a big emphasis on the social interactions among workers
- The role is based in Dublin 4, with excellent pay and benefits on offer including a group pension scheme
bonkers.ie company culture
- Small company - big plans
- Family rapport
Innovation: contributing to the overall innovation of the business and its products. Think outside the box and discover new solutions to current and emerging needs!
Excellence: achieving excellent results from all areas of bonkers.ie business. Always improve yourself, do not settle for mediocre results!
Growth: if you want something new to be done, own it and deliver it. The Heads of departments all own and grow their respective areas - if you want to grow your area, go ahead we’re focussed and dynamic with a shallow chain of command. With a sound business case, everything is possible.
Small company - big plans: bonkers.ie is a small but dynamic company that is growing rapidly. We service thousands of customers each month and have big plans for the future.
Family rapport: the bonkers.ie work place is an open space that encourages communication, ideas and collaboration. As a small company the rapport of our staff is paramount and we place a big emphasis on the social interactions among workers. You need to be a team player to thrive here.
Established in 2010, bonkers.ie is a free, impartial, online comparison and switching service which helps Irish households to compare prices and products across a range of broadband, TV, energy, insurance and banking providers. The company's mission is to help householders to take advantage of the best prices and services on offer from Irish suppliers.
We are Ireland's leading customer acquisition platform in the four industries of energy, communications, banking and insurance (both general and protection), delivering well in excess of €100,000,000 in annual recurring revenues to our partners every year.
bonkers.ie is accredited by the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities as an impartial, accurate and independent supplier of energy price comparisons. Accreditation is tested annually with a rigorous audit and the bonkers.ie accreditation was reaffirmed in November 2019.
Bonkers Money Limited, trading as bonkers.ie, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.