Bord Gáis announces 15.5% price cut - Classic Hits
Daragh Cassidy, Head of Communications at bonkers.ie, appeared on Classic Hits Radio to discuss the latest price cuts.
Listen to the interview above or look at the main points discussed below.
Main points from the interview:
- Bord Gáis’ 600,000 customers will receive the discount from November 9th. In doing so, they have become the seventh supplier to cut their prices.
- Both the unit rates and standing charges for gas and electricity will be cut, leading to a 15.5% overall reduction in bills.
- This should save the average customer €357 on electricity and €274 on gas.
- However, even after price cuts, energy bills will still be around double what they were in 2020, meaning this winter is set to be another tough one for Irish households.
- The cost of transmission, the dispersed population, and the reliance on expensive gas imports has meant Irish energy is more expensive than is typical in Europe.
- There is still plenty of money to be saved by switching energy suppliers. While discounts of up to 40% seen last year are no longer available, you can still avail of discounts of 10% to 20%. This could shave hundreds of euro off your annual bill.
- It is also worth remembering that these price cuts apply to variable contracts. Therefore, you will avail of the discount automatically as the price changes come in.
- We may well see further discounts of a similar amount come into place in the new year.
Switch to a cheaper energy deal today
It’s quick and easy to compare deals and switch gas and electricity providers on bonkers.ie.
If you’re seeking advice when it comes to switching supplier, make sure you check out our energy Quickstart Guide here. Our guide will equip you with all you need to know to make the switch and cut the cost of your gas and electricity bills.
You can read more about the cost of living and the latest developments in the world of energy in our blog.
Additionally, check out our guides which seek to answer and advise you on all of our product offerings.