Saving money on streaming services - The Pat Kenny Show
There are currently a plethora of different streaming services available to subscribe to, all offering different content. But all of these subscriptions can quickly rack up the cost of your monthly outgoings.
Daragh Cassidy, Head of Communications at bonkers.ie, appeared on The Pat Kenny Show to share his advice to people looking to reduce the amount they spend on streaming services.
Listen to the interview above or look at the main points discussed below.
Main points from the interview:
- A survey by Pure Telecom has revealed that Irish adults now spend €1.3 billion every year on video streaming services.
- The reason for this huge figure is that there are now so many subscription services available on the market, meaning that many people may be signing up to over three different providers.
- However, none of the major streaming services ask for a sign-up fee or cancellation fee, meaning that you are never locked into a certain provider.
- Therefore, if there is a blockbuster series you want to watch, subscribe for the duration of the program and then cancel, instead of allowing the contract to continue rolling. Then, when you want to come back you can resubscribe.
- Netflix are currently clamping down on password sharing, preventing people from free-loading on other accounts.
- If you are currently password sharing, you can be added as an additional user for €4.99 a month. The standard packages are €8.99 for a basic standalone account and €20.99 for a family account.
- Netflix accounts in Ireland are the most expensive in the world. Therefore, a good money saving tip is to share accounts and pay for the additional user charge.
- When considering the services you sign up to, think about what you may be doing at different times of the year. For example, when the weather is good, children are less likely to want to watch Disney+ for example. However, when Christmas rolls around that may change.
- It is good practice to set reminders for when free trials expire, so that you don’t end up overpaying. You may also be able to get a better rate by threatening to cancel your subscription.
- Sometimes too much choice of things to watch can be a curse in itself, so carefully consider the amount of content you want access to.
Get the best broadband deal to suit your needs
Finding the best value broadband, phone and TV bundle can seem like a daunting and time-consuming task.
At bonkers.ie, we have made this process easy for you with our comprehensive broadband comparison service. Our free tool allows you to compare the different speeds, prices and offers available in your area from all of Ireland’s main broadband providers.
If you have any questions about the broadband comparison and switching process, make sure you consult our helpful broadband Quickstart Guide.
And remember, on bonkers.ie we also offer a range of services that will help you cut the cost of your energy bills, insurance expenses, banking fees, and help you find the best mortgage rates on the market.