CRU finds a €900 difference between energy supplier prices - C103
A new report from the Commission for Regulations of Utilities (CRU) has found that there is a substantial gap between the dearest and cheapest energy suppliers on the market.
Daragh Cassidy, Head of Communications at bonkers.ie, appeared on C103 to discuss the CRU’s latest findings and to talk about the savings you can make by switching suppliers annually.
- According to a report by the CRU, there is a €900 difference between the cheapest and the dearest electricity and gas supplier on the market.
- If you are on a standard rate, you will find that Flogas is the dearest supplier while Electric Ireland is the cheapest. However, it’s important to note that even the cheaper plans are still quite expensive.
- There are no more electricity credits from the government so the electricity bills people are receiving now are really shocking them.
- An EU statistical agency has said Ireland has some of the highest gas prices in the EU.
- Up until last year, consumers could get a discount of 30-40% from their energy suppliers, however, these discounts have now dropped to 5-10%.
- You should look to switch your energy bill every year, however, if you do not want to do this, you can re-negotiate with your current supplier to make some savings to your bills
- Daragh believes that between 40-50% of households have never switched energy suppliers which means they are more than likely overpaying for their energy usage.
- Smart meters are being rolled out across the country and although there is a lot of apprehension surrounding them, smart meters do offer people a great insight into their energy consumption and usage in the home.
- With a smart meter you will also have no more estimated bills, nor will you have to send meter readings to your supplier. Your smart meter will automatically send meter readings to your supplier every 24 hours or every 30 minutes depending on your preferences as a result you will receive accurate bills.
Switch to a cheaper energy deal today
Make sure you are paying the cheapest energy s quick and easy to compare deals and switch gas and electricity providers on bonkers.ie.