The 2019 Rugby World Cup will be shown exclusively live on eir Sport, which is currently available for free to all eir broadband and Meteor customers.
Just how excited about the 2019 Rugby World Cup are you after this morning’s draw? You even had a sneaky look at flights to Japan, didn’t you?
Who can blame you?! It was a kind draw for Ireland and we’ll all be picturing the image of Johnny, Jamie and Joe lifting that trophy for the rest of the day.
Sure, Scotland and Japan will be no pushovers, but at least we’re not in the so-called 'group of death' with France and Argentina! We’ll happily let England take those powerhouses on this time around.
There are already a tonne of mouth-watering clashes lined up and we want to make sure you don’t miss a minute of the action.
Where can I watch the 2019 Rugby World Cup?
The Rugby World Cup is going to be shown exclusively on eir Sport, which is currently available for free to eir broadband and Meteor customers.
The channel comes at a cost to all others and, at the moment, is not available to Virgin Media customers.
However, all of Ireland’s matches and the knockout stages will be shown free-to-air.
What is eir Sport?
eir Sport is the new name for Setanta Sports and it includes seven separate channels; eir Sport 1, eir Sport 2, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport Europe, BT Sport ESPN and BoxNation.
It came into existence in July 2016, seven months after eir acquired Setanta Sports for about €20m.
All seven eir Sport channels can be accessed on a TV via a set-top box or on a phone, tablet or laptop via the free eir Sport app.
How can I get eir Sport?
eir Sport is available at a range of different prices, depending on which broadband provider you are with.
eir – both new and existing eir broadband customers can get eir Sport for free. If you’re an existing eir broadband customer and don’t have the eir Sport yet, just give eir a call and they will help you get set up. If you aren’t an eir broadband customer and would like to sign up now, you can do so by visiting the eir Broadband page on bonkers.ie.
- Meteor - eir Sport is also available for free, direct to mobile, to all Meteor customers. And don’t worry about what streaming live sport will do to your data plan; watching eir Sport will have no impact on your monthly allowance.
- Sky – Sky Broadband customers can subscribe to eir Sport for an average monthly cost of €18.75. Note that you’ll need your Sky viewing card number to sign up.
- Virgin Media – eir Sport is not available to Virgin Media customers at the moment.
- Vodafone – eir Sport is available to Vodafone customers for €20 a month, but new Vodafone customers can get all six channels for free for six months. You can sign up for Vodafone broadband on bonkers.ie now.
- eir Broadband and Sky TV - if you’re an eir Broadband customer but you get your TV package from Sky, you can still get eir Sport for free. You can sign up here - you’ll need your eir login details and Sky viewing card number to do so.
Why should I get eir Sport now?
There’s no guarantee that eir Sport will be available for free by the time the Rugby World Cup rolls around so now is a great time to consider snapping it up.
Although you do have to switch to eir broadband to get it for free, the provider is offering a number of new customer discounts at the moment and its broadband only deal is available for €50 a month on a 12-month contract.
It may be two years away, but the Rugby World Cup is going to be the talk of the nation when it rolls around and we want to make sure can enjoy all of the action for as little as possible.